How COGIC Began

How COGIC Began

The Church of God in Christ (COGIC) is a church of the Lord Jesus Christ in which the word of God is preached, ordinances are administered and the doctrine of sanctification/holiness is emphasised as being essential to the salvation of mankind. Our Church is commonly known as being 'Holiness' or 'Pentecostal' in nature because of the importance ascribed to the events which occurred on the Day of Pentecost (the 50th day after the Passover) or Easter as being necessary for all believers in Christ Jesus to experience. On the Day of Pentecost, the first day of the week, supernatural manifestations descended in marvelous copiousness and power. The gift of the Spirit was the fulfillment of the promise of Jesus, to clothe those who would wait in Jerusalem with power from on high was accompanied by three supernatural extraordinary manifestations.

The sudden appearance of the Holy Ghost appealed first to the ear. The disciples heard a ‘sound’ from heaven which rushed with a mighty force into the house and filled it - even as a storm rushes – but there was no wind. It was the sound that filled the house and not a wind, an invisible cause producing audible effects.

Next, the eye was arrested by the appearance of tongues of fire which rested on each of the gathered company.

Finally, there was the impartation of a new strange power to speak in languages they had never learned “as the Spirit gave them utterance.”

Bishop C.H. Mason

“When I opened my mouth to say 'Glory', a flame touched my tongue which ran down me. My language changed and no word could I speak in my own tongue. Oh! I was filled with the Glory of the Lord. My soul was then satisfied.”

COGIC is considered to be a member of the great Protestant body. Although it did not directly evolve from the European or English Reformation, its origin is found within the General Association to the Baptist Church.

Elder Charles Harrison Mason was born on 8th September 1866, on the Prior Farm near Memphis, Tennessee. His father and mother, Jerry and Eliza Mason, were members of a Missionary Baptist Church, having been converted during the dark crises of American Slavery. He later became the founder and organiser of COGIC.

The Early Days

Elder Mason was converted in November 1878, and baptised by his brother, I.S. Nelson, a Baptist preacher who was pastoring the Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church near Plumerville, Arkansas. In 1893, Elder Mason began his Christian ministry with the accepting of ministerial licences from the Mount Gale Missionary Baptist Church, in Preston, Arkansas. He then experienced sanctification through the word of God and preached his first sermon on 'Holiness' from 2 Timothy 2:1-3: “Thou therefore endure hardness as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.” On November 1, 1893, Elder Mason matriculated into the Arkansas Baptist

On 1st November 1893, Elder Mason enrolled into the Arkansas Baptist College, but withdrew after three months because of his dissatisfaction with the methods of teaching and the presentation of the Bible message. He returned to the streets and to every pulpit that was opened to him, declaring Christ by the word, example, and precept.

In 1895, Elder Mason met Elder C.P. Jones of Jackson, Mississippi, Elder J.E. Jeter of Little Rock, Arkansas, and Elder W.S. Pleasant of Hazelhurst, Mississippi. They subsequently became Elder Mason’s closest companions in the ministry. Jointly, these militant gospel preachers conducted a revival in 1896 in Jackson, Mississippi, which had far-reaching effects on the city.

The theophanic manifestations of the revival included large numbers that were converted, sanctified, and healed by the power of faith and the dogmatic teachings of Bishop Mason on the doctrine of sanctification, which caused church doors within the Baptist association to become closed to him and to all those that believed and supported his teachings. So in 1897, when these pioneering, persistent preachers returned to Jackson, Mississippi, Elder Mason was forced to deliver his first message from the south entrance of the courthouse. A certain man named Mr. John Lee, desired to see Elder Mason’s ministry continue, and provided the living room of his home the next night. Due to the overwhelming number of people that attended, Mr. Watson, the owner of an abandoned warehouse in Lexington, Mississippi, gave his consent to transfer the revival meeting to the gin house on the bank of a little creek.

This gin house subsequently became the meeting house for COGIC. This miracle deliverance revival was such a success that it stirred up the 'devil', causing someone to shoot five pistol shots and two double barreled shotgun blasts into the midst of the saints while they were shouting and praying. Some persons were wounded but miraculously, none of the shots were fatal. At the close of the meeting, it was necessary to organise the people for the purpose of establishing a church with a stronger appeal and greater encouragement for all Christians believers, which would emphasise the doctrine of entire sanctification through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

A meeting was mutually called by Elder Mason, Elder Jones, and Elder Pleasant, and 60 others stood as charter members. Land was soon bought on Gazoo Street from Mrs. John Ashcraft, just beyond the corporate line, upon which was built a little edifice that measured 60ft by 40ft. Those 60 charter members formed a Pentecostal body known as the 'Church of God'.

Subsequently, in 1897, while seeking a spiritual name which would distinguish the church from others of the similar title, the name 'Church of God in Christ' was revealed to Elder Mason while he was walking along a certain street in Little Rock, Arkansas. The following scripture supported his revelation:

For ye brethren became followers of the Churches of God which in Judea are in Christ Jesus: for ye have suffered like things of your own countrymen even as they have of the Jews.”(1 Thessalonians 2:14)

All of the brethren unanimously agreed to the name of .Church of God in Christ'.

Later, the church was reorganised and resulted in Elder C.P. Jones chosen as General Overseer. Elder C.H. Mason was appointed as Overseer of Tennessee, and Elder J.A. Jeter was Overseer of Arkansas. The turning point in Elder Mason’s life came in March 1907, when he journeyed to Los Angeles, California, to attend a great Pentecostal revival with Elder D.J. Young and Elder J.A. Jeter. Elder W.J. Seymour was preaching concerning the passage from Luke 24:49, “And behold I send the promise of my Father upon you; but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem until ye be endued with power from on high.” Elder Mason became convinced that it was essential for him to have the outpouring of the Holy Ghost.


Elder Mason's Testimonies

The following are excerpts from Elder Mason’s personal testimony regarding his receiving the Holy Ghost.

“The first day in the meeting I sat to myself, away from those that went with me. I began to thank God in my heart for all things, for when I heard some speak in tongues, I knew it was right though I did not understand it. Nevertheless, it was sweet to me."

"I also thank God for Elder Seymour who came and preached a wonderful sermon. His words were sweet and powerful and it seems that I hear them now while writing. When he closed his sermon, he said ‘All of those that want to be sanctified or baptized with the Holy Ghost, go to the upper room; and all those that want to be justified, come to the altar.’"

"I said that is the place for me, for it may be that I am not converted and if not, God knows it and can convert me…”


“The second night of prayer I saw a vision. I saw myself standing alone and had a dry roll of paper in my mouth trying to swallow it. Looking up towards the heavens, there appeared a man at my side. I turned my eyes at once, then I awoke and the interpretation came."

"God had me swallowing the whole book and if I did not turn my eyes to anyone but God and Him only, He would baptize me. I said yes to Him, and at once in the morning when I arose, I could hear a voice in me saying, ” I see…”

“I got a place at the altar and began to thank God. After that, I said Lord if I could only baptize myself, I would do so; for I wanted the baptism so bad I did not know what to do. I said, Lord, You will have to do the work for me; so I turned it over into His hands.”

“Then, I began to ask for the baptism of the Holy Ghost according to Acts 2:41, which readeth thus: ‘Then they that gladly received His word were baptized,’ Then I saw that I had a right to be glad and not sad.”

“The enemy said to me, there may be something wrong with you. Then a voice spoke to me saying, if there is anything wrong with you, Christ will find it and take it away and marry you…Someone said, ‘Let us sing.’ I arose and the first song that came to me was ‘He brought me out of the Miry Clay.’

"The Spirit came upon the saints and upon me…Then I gave up for the Lord to have His way within me. So there came a wave of Glory into me and all of my being was filled with the Glory of the Lord."

So when He had gotten me straight on my feet, there came a light which enveloped my entire being above the brightness of the sun. When I opened my mouth to say Glory, a flame touched my tongue which ran down me. My language changed and no word could I speak in my own tongue. Oh! I was filled with the Glory of the Lord. My soul was then satisfied.”


Pentecostal Movement

Based on this new Pentecostal experience which Elder Mason discovered, upon his return home to Memphis, Tennessee, he began to proclaim to others as a New Testament doctrine. Subsequently, a division became evident within the ranks of Elder Mason’s contemporaries who regarded the new Holy Ghost experience of speaking in tongues as a delusion and were unable to resolve their differences. The General Assembly terminated by withdrawing the 'right hand' of fellowship from Elder Mason. He then called a conference of all ministers in Memphis, Tennessee who believed in receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost according to the scriptures in Acts 2:1-4. Those who responded to Elder Mason’s urgent call were E. R. Driver, J. Bowe, R. R. Booker, R. E. Hart, W. Welsh, A. A. Blackwell, E. M. Page, R.H. I. Clark, D. J. Young, James Brewer, Daniel Spearman and J. H. Boone.

These men of God organised the first Pentecostal General Assembly of the Church of God in Christ. Elder Mason was then chosen unanimously as the General Overseer and Chief Apostle of our denomination. He was given complete authority to establish doctrine, organise auxiliaries and appoint overseers.

Dr. Hart was appointed Overseer of Tennessee; Elder J.A. Lewis was appointed Overseer of Tennessee; Elder J. Bowe the Overseer of Arkansas; later J. A. Lewis was appointed Overseer of Mississippi. As the church grew, Elder E. M. Page was appointed Overseer of Texas; Elder R.R. Booker, Overseer of Missouri; Elder E. R. Driver, Overseer of California and Elder W. B. Holt as the National Field Secretary.

As the Chief Apostle, he immediately dedicated twenty days, November 25th through December 14th annually as a meeting time for all of his followers to fellowship with each other and to transact all ecclesiastical and secular affairs pertinent to the growth of the National Organization.

This segment of the year was chosen because the majority of the communicants of the church lived in farming districts of Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas. By this time of the year, they had sufficient provisions and financial resources from the harvesting of their crops, to enable them to attend and support a national meeting.

The first National meetings were held at 392 South Wellington Street, Memphis, Tennessee. The first National Tabernacle was built and completed at 958 South Fifth Street, in 1925.

This Tabernacle, however, was destroyed by fire twelve years later in 1936. In the interim until 1945, our National Convocation was held within the Church pastored by Bishop Mason at 672 South Lauderdale. In1945, Bishop Mason was able to visualize the culmination of his dream. He dedicated the Mason Temple at Memphis, Tennessee which was built for less than $400,000 during World War II. This auditorium became the largest convention hall owned by any colored religious group in America.

Under Bishop Mason’s spiritual and apostolic direction our church has grown from ten congregations in 1907, to the largest Pentecostal group in America. The membership of the Church of God in Christ grew from three million in 1973 to an estimated 5.2 million in 1997.

Churches under the parent body in Memphis, Tennessee, are now established throughout the United States, on every continent, and in many of the islands of the sea.